Saturday, September 15, 2012

Facts

Recent visit to Hong Kong reminded me of 2 facts.
Hard to be a student in HK.
Even harder to be a student's parent in HK.

My sister-in-law's child was to start primary.
She'd  'day off' to queue outside several schools,
In 30+ degree, out on a street just to get a form.

Not even the very top schools.
Still the competition was so fierce.
Child's portfolio, Interview, Tests  & yes, deposit $£.

Met a parent whose child also starting primary.
The 1st question her relatives asking her was,
'Have you found a tutor for your child yet?'

Her child was only 6 - same as my sister-in-law's.
A private piano teacher telling me something new.
Many of her students revised their school work.....

Till 2300 hrs........in the past,
Now.... it's 0100 hrs.
Yes, till the early morning.

In my years as a student in HK, only a few had a tutor.
Now, only a few if any, NOT having a tutor.
And most popular tutors earning millions of $£ a year.

After years of Intense Pressure & Insufficient Sleep,
Do HK students know how to Think, be Creative etc.?
Are they just good at answering questions on papers?

I'd done some observations & 'tests' while in HK,
On some selected students of different ages, abilities etc.,
And confirmed some of the facts I always believe.

As parents, we've to look beyond headlines, figures etc.,
Have to establish facts ourselves.
Finding the best way forward for our child.

I'm to take the Strengths of  HK & UK's education system,
When developing my own system for my boys,
To ensure the Right Level of  'Pressure' & Pleasure.

Fate
Facts Speak for Itself - Finding them Ourselves
www.fatesecrets.blogspot.com




















No comments:

Post a Comment